Thread: Proof Test Interval for Conveyor Holdbacks/backstops

ajithkocheril Guest

Proof Test Interval for Conveyor Holdbacks/backstops

Hi all,

I’m based in Queensland, Australia. Australian standards requires the designer to specify a proof test interval for conveyor backstops ( mandatory). Just wondering if any one can share the procedure and frequency of this test?

The standards also recommend monitoring wear and effective operation of holdbacks. However, I have not come across any proven methods for achieving this. Please provide some info in this regard too.

*We use dual backstops mounted on an intermediate shaft inside gearbox.

Thanks
    Ajith

Teus Tuinenburg

Professional Experience 55 Years / 9 Month Teus Tuinenburg has 55 Years and 9 Month professional experience

Discussions 221 Teus Tuinenburg acceded to 221 discussions, Publications 0 Teus Tuinenburg Tuinenburg released 0 publications

Know-How Conveying (1488) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1488 times, Pneumatic Conveying (1278) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1278 times, Pneumatic (571) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 571 times

Dear Ajit,

Have the Australian standards not described the specification for a proof test interval for conveyor backstops ( mandatory)?

If they have not, then they can reject any test.
    Teus

3. 1. I cannot share,
    1a. Regarding the frequency, perhaps a FEMA is a practicable option.
    2. For low speed holdbacks, I am aware of: load testing, and measurement [i.e. "strain gauge"].
    I am aware of a minimum of two off low speed holdback manufacturers, that retail in Australia, that have a position regarding this matter.
    Perhaps the following is off topic, however generally speaking, according to me: if holdbacks are required, the holdbacks must be low speed.

Regards,
    Lyle

Some backstops just don't work.

It seems like this Australian standard might have been written for Ireland.
    Seriously though: it is not specific & therefore not acceptable as a standard. (Which is also the Brexiteers' view)
    To test you need to bring a fully laden conveyor to rest; check the brake is on; uncouple the motor & release the brake.
    If the conveyor doesn't run back then the sprag is working.
    Its not rocket science: unless you want to find somewhere to bond a strain gauge into the workings & then calculate....what?
    The standards recommendation to monitor wear & operation is covered in my 3rd sentence except for my ignoring 'effective' because either it slips or doesn't slip (effectively writing)
    Holset used to make a gradual release holdback to release the locked in tension after a stall (NCB rules after a fatality). So please remember to make sure nobody is in a place of danger when you do your test.
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com