Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proof Test Interval for Conveyor Holdbacks/backstops

ajithkocheril Guest

Proof Test Interval for Conveyor Holdbacks/backstops

Hi all,

I’m based in Queensland, Australia. Australian standards requires the designer to specify a proof test interval for conveyor backstops ( mandatory). Just wondering if any one can share the procedure and frequency of this test?

The standards also recommend monitoring wear and effective operation of holdbacks. However, I have not come across any proven methods for achieving this. Please provide some info in this regard too.

*We use dual backstops mounted on an intermediate shaft inside gearbox.

Thanks
    Ajith

Teus Tuinenburg

Professional Experience 55 Years / 11 Month Teus Tuinenburg has 55 Years and 11 Month professional experience

Discussions 221 Teus Tuinenburg acceded to 221 discussions, Publications 0 Teus Tuinenburg Tuinenburg released 0 publications

Know-How Conveying (1488) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1488 times, Pneumatic Conveying (1278) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1278 times, Pneumatic (571) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 571 times

Dear Ajit,

Have the Australian standards not described the specification for a proof test interval for conveyor backstops ( mandatory)?

If they have not, then they can reject any test.
    Teus

3. 1. I cannot share,
    1a. Regarding the frequency, perhaps a FEMA is a practicable option.
    2. For low speed holdbacks, I am aware of: load testing, and measurement [i.e. "strain gauge"].
    I am aware of a minimum of two off low speed holdback manufacturers, that retail in Australia, that have a position regarding this matter.
    Perhaps the following is off topic, however generally speaking, according to me: if holdbacks are required, the holdbacks must be low speed.

Regards,
    Lyle

Some backstops just don't work.

It seems like this Australian standard might have been written for Ireland.
    Seriously though: it is not specific & therefore not acceptable as a standard. (Which is also the Brexiteers' view)
    To test you need to bring a fully laden conveyor to rest; check the brake is on; uncouple the motor & release the brake.
    If the conveyor doesn't run back then the sprag is working.
    Its not rocket science: unless you want to find somewhere to bond a strain gauge into the workings & then calculate....what?
    The standards recommendation to monitor wear & operation is covered in my 3rd sentence except for my ignoring 'effective' because either it slips or doesn't slip (effectively writing)
    Holset used to make a gradual release holdback to release the locked in tension after a stall (NCB rules after a fatality). So please remember to make sure nobody is in a place of danger when you do your test.
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com

5. Hello,

Once the hold-back has become part of operating installation, it will become impractical to remove it and send it to testing laboratory to authenticate its health (hold-back torque capacity). In this situation the system will remain idle till the hold-back come back again and become part of the system (installation) unless one has spare hold-back, time and take all the trouble to refit.

Easier / practical solution will be as below without all above hassle, and interference in the plant operation.

- Stop the conveyor when it is conveying at nearly 100% capacity as per belt weigher indication and also when it is convenient in context of plant operating time, and without disturbance.

- Have a marking on / at fixed stand.

- Put a piece of rope / string on belt, exactly opposite to marking on stand. This may be done after 5 minutes of stoppage.

- Now wait for say 20 / 30 minutes to see whether the belt has moved back (i.e. how far the belt along with the cord has traveled backward).

- If this is practically none, then hold-back condition is OK and it is suitable for continuation of use.

It is understood that belt has adequate idle tension as per design rule for adequate frictional grip on pulley; and belt is not shifting relative to drive pulley. To avoid such doubt, adopt following procedure:

- Make chalk marking at the pulley rim and then chalk marking on the belt edge, matching to each other.

- See that the markings have remained matching to each other during course of the earlier testing. This implies belt is not slipping on the pulley.

Make a systematic log book or record of such test as per statutory need, signed by responsible authority.

Engineers concerned with the erection - commissioning / operation can improve the aforesaid method if need be.

The suggested method is like routine testing of the car brake for its effective operation (not for maintenance and repair). Sit in the car, speed up the car and then apply brake. See whether it is stopping in applicable distance. Why to remove the brake system and then test it in laboratory or workshop and have all the hassles ?

The plant engineer can check adequacy of the existing hold-back operation, as many times as required by the standard.

Ishwar G. Mulani
    Author of Book: 'Engineering Science And Application Design For Belt Conveyors'. Conveyor design basis is ISO (thereby book is helpful to design conveyors as per national standards of most of the countries across world). New print Nov., 2012.
    Author of Book: 'Belt Feeder Design And Hopper Bin Silo'
    Advisor / Consultant for Bulk Material Handling System & Issues.
    Pune, India. Tel.: 0091 (0)20 25871916
    Email: conveyor.ishwar.mulani@gmail.com

Teus Tuinenburg

Professional Experience 55 Years / 11 Month Teus Tuinenburg has 55 Years and 11 Month professional experience

Discussions 221 Teus Tuinenburg acceded to 221 discussions, Publications 0 Teus Tuinenburg Tuinenburg released 0 publications

Know-How Conveying (1488) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1488 times, Pneumatic Conveying (1278) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1278 times, Pneumatic (571) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 571 times

I understood the question of Ajith as:
    Australian standards require the designer to specify a proof test interval for conveyor backstops
    And his question is:
    I have not come across any proven methods for achieving this
    After explaining the possible tests for holdbacks, the question remains:

Do the Australian standards approve the proposed backstop tests?

I would say: Ask the Australian Authorities.
    Teus

7. Hello,

In my earlier posting, I missed one point, which I am adding here-under:

In case the conveyor has brake (for controlled deceleration) then that brake to be deactivated (mechanically or electrically) i.e. to make its braking torque zero. This will not involve removal of the brake unit.

This implies conveyor roll-back torque is countered by hold-back only, and not jointly by hold-back and aforesaid brake.

Well, incline-up conveyor which has roll-back issue; generally will not have brake. Up-incline conveyor stops quickly on its own. However for theoretical complete information, I have added this.

Ishwar G. Mulani
    Author of Book: 'Engineering Science And Application Design For Belt Conveyors'. Conveyor design basis is ISO (thereby book is helpful to design conveyors as per national standards of most of the countries across world). New print Nov., 2012.
    Author of Book: 'Belt Feeder Design And Hopper Bin Silo'
    Advisor / Consultant for Bulk Material Handling System & Issues.
    Pune, India. Tel.: 0091 (0)20 25871916
    Email: conveyor.ishwar.mulani@gmail.com

Gary Blenkhorn
    Bulk Handling Technology Inc.

Professional Experience 41 Years / 4 Month Gary Blenkhorn has 41 Years and 4 Month professional experience

Discussions 108 Gary Blenkhorn acceded to 108 discussions, Publications 0 Gary Blenkhorn Blenkhorn released 0 publications

Know-How Design (318) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 318 times, Belt Conveyors (135) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 135 times, Software (56) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 56 times

Here is an interesting article about testing a holdback and he talks about Australian requirements for safe guarding. As he states the best way to test is to do a controlled stop and ensuring that the conveyor does not roll back under load. Controlled stop means that EVERYONE is aware of the test and live guards are placed at a safe distance from critical areas where the material will come off the belt if the holdback has failed and the belt rolls back. These guards ensure no one comes into the affected area(s). There would be no mechanical means of testing a holdback other than this type of test. The conveyor would need to be fully loaded to test proof the holdback properly.

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/desi...encies/175716/

Also make sure that at regular intervals backstops are checked for oil levels and the proper oil is always used as per the manufacturer's recommendation. Not following their recommendation can cause premature failure.
    Last edited by Gary Blenkhorn; 12th November 2019 at 1:13.
    Gary Blenkhorn
    President - Bulk Handling Technology Inc.
    gblenkhorn@bulkht.ca
    http://www.bulkht.ca

Offering Conveyor Design Services, DEM Flow Simulation Services, Conveyor Transfer Design Services, SolidWorks Design Services for equipment layouts and Software for the Bulk Material Industry.

9. Thank you Mr.Gary.
    The factor of safety 1.3 gives an idea about the torque limit on fixed race of hold backs could with stand.
    Holdbacks are very delicate machine components, especially when they are fixed on high speed shafts, where they are normally preferred.
    As Mr.Gary pointed out preventive maintenance is extremely essential for their better life. Abnormal noise, vibrations, oil leakages , poor quality of oil can be indication of expected failure of holdbacks.

Thanks and regards,

Gary Blenkhorn
    Bulk Handling Technology Inc.

Professional Experience 41 Years / 4 Month Gary Blenkhorn has 41 Years and 4 Month professional experience

Discussions 108 Gary Blenkhorn acceded to 108 discussions, Publications 0 Gary Blenkhorn Blenkhorn released 0 publications

Know-How Design (318) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 318 times, Belt Conveyors (135) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 135 times, Software (56) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 56 times

Just referring to a statement by the author of the article I posted earlier stating "Electric motors are not normally designed to start up fully loaded conveyor belts, or they would be over-dimensioned and inefficient in normal operation." This is unfortunately true in many installations but easily overcome by simply specifying a 200% locked rotor torque (LRT). These motors have much greater insulation and can withstand more heat during startup. Standard motors are usually around 100% to 125% LRT. Many designers only look at the HP or KW required to run a conveyor and ignore the breakaway torque required to get the conveyor going again after stopping under a full load.

Having a crew shovelling off a long conveyor would very quickly eat up the extra costs to install the correct motor in the first place.
    Gary Blenkhorn
    President - Bulk Handling Technology Inc.
    gblenkhorn@bulkht.ca
    http://www.bulkht.ca

Offering Conveyor Design Services, DEM Flow Simulation Services, Conveyor Transfer Design Services, SolidWorks Design Services for equipment layouts and Software for the Bulk Material Industry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast