Thread: Need Recommendation between Butterfly and Segment Ball valve for hopper discharge

athitphongmekin Guest

Need Recommendation between Butterfly and Segment Ball valve for hopper discharge

I'm looking for some recommendation between using butterfly and segment ball valve for hopper discharge of urea granule with size 2.5-4.2 mm.
    Normally, we used butterfly valve with disc as SS316 but now we're considering using segment ball valve with ceramic/stainless steel static seal instead.

We're worry about the material (Urea) deposition on the valve's seal which would affect valve lifespan.

Does segment ball valve shear behavior when closing will help deposit/lifespan compare to butterfly? If you have some other option, please recommend.

In My Dreams....

...I would never have used a butterfly valve with solids flow. Your underlying statement is something like "I can't rely on the butterfly opening against the material download."
    Butterflies are fine in liquids where the opposite sides of the spindle are subject to identical upstream pressure. Not so with solids which must be displaced against download. A ball valve shears metal to burden only and any such valve is therefore superior to one which shears material internally.
    Hopper humidity is your only real concern so try to keep the stuff dry for starters. Particle spectra within your mentioned range wouldn't even touch the sides.
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com

athitphongmekin Guest

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by johngateley View Post
    ...I would never have used a butterfly valve with solids flow. Your underlying statement is something like "I can't rely on the butterfly opening against the material download."
    Butterflies are fine in liquids where the opposite sides of the spindle are subject to identical upstream pressure. Not so with solids which must be displaced against download. A ball valve shears metal to burden only and any such valve is therefore superior to one which shears material internally.
    Hopper humidity is your only real concern so try to keep the stuff dry for starters. Particle spectra within your mentioned range wouldn't even touch the sides.

Thank you very much for the reply. We'll take extra precaution with humidity.