Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelcord belts life and replacement

I'm Gobsmacked Now!

I get a dismissive response to my definitive answer that the belt should be replaced when the downtime cost it causes approaches the replacement cost. This is fundamental replacement procedure & does not concern itself with the confusing back pedaling now in process.
    We started talking, again after some years, about the time when a belt, any belt, should be replaced. Since then the conversation has been diverted from exposed carcass to pulled out chords. From wear assessment to complete failure in about 2 chapters. While discussing pull outs it has been asserted that belts are replaced without the excessive wear quoted under the present original post. This questions the validity of the post. On one hand the belt can be run bald before it is replaced & next time round good belt is jettisoned because splicing strength was inadequate.
    Let us know if & when you decide.
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com

2. Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Brown View Post
    Apologies, though I still do not follow, however if you are stating the cords may be the "weakest link" relative to the covers, that may be possible.

Regards,
    Lyle
    Dear Mr.Lyle,

I think that the cord pullout strength would be the first to loose it's value after period of time, among all the properties of steelcord belt. I assume that it should be the indication for replacement of belt. Just wondering to know is there a handy tool to know this value during splicing itself, so that we can know the residual life of steelcord belts.

Thank you and many regards,

S. Ganesh.

3. Quote Originally Posted by sganesh View Post
    Mr.John :
    We cannot compare downtime cost ( which will be much higher ) with belt cost.
    Mr.Lyle :
    DIN 22101 is for steelcord belts. I didn't find belt replacement theory. Though fabric belts replacement strategy is very easy to understand, I find difficult for steelcord belts. I want to know the opinion of forum members, how they take decisions ?

Regards,
    DIN 22101 is for fabric belts and DIN 22131 is for steel cord belts. Sorry for the mistake.

Regards,

4. Quote Originally Posted by sganesh View Post
    Dear Mr.Lyle,

I think that the cord pullout strength would be the first to loose it's value after period of time, among all the properties of steelcord belt. I assume that it should be the indication for replacement of belt. Just wondering to know is there a handy tool to know this value during splicing itself, so that we can know the residual life of steelcord belts.

Thank you and many regards,

S. Ganesh.

Subject to your intent, an option may include edge bar testing, as stated in the paper that I referenced earlier.

With reference to the following, despite slightly off topic, some precedence exists for testing of the belt throughout its life, that perhaps may be also applied to edge bar testing:

https://resourcesandgeoscience.nsw.g...-workplace.pdf

Regards,
    Lyle

5. Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Brown View Post
    Subject to your intent, an option may include edge bar testing, as stated in the paper that I referenced earlier.

With reference to the following, despite slightly off topic, some precedence exists for testing of the belt throughout its life, that perhaps may be also applied to edge bar testing:

https://resourcesandgeoscience.nsw.g...-workplace.pdf

Regards,
    Lyle
    Thank you Mr.Lyle for showing some good practice for the safety of the plant. In my discussed belt, the belt rating is ST1000. 1400 width. 3.6 mm cord. Bottom cover thickness is 4 mm. I think the cord diameters and bottom cover thickness are so low that they majorly contribute for joint's poor life after few years. Waiting for your valuable opinion and forum experts regarding this.

Thank you and regards,
    S.Ganesh

6. I propose that we do not have sufficient information to provide a conclusion, however:

The standard for steel cord conveyor belt that I am familiar with is AS 1333, that does not state diameters [the manufacturer must determine].
    Despite this, the following link from a manufacturer as a benchmark states a diameter of 3.6 mm, so your cord diameter appears plausible.

DIN 22101 states a minimum cover thickness of 4 mm, so you thickness appears plausible.

I am not aware of how things work where you are based [i.e. the following may not be practicable], though based on my understanding of your situation, as a start, I would request that the splicing contractor investigates the failure(s) for me.

Regards,
    Lyle

http://www.dunlopconveyorbelting.com...EN_aug2013.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12