Thread: Magnet for homemade metal separator

alexbelousov Guest

Magnet for homemade metal separator

Me and my friend want to make a strong as possible (made from permanent magnets) homemade metal separator for seeds. We are not good in the physics of such level, so we need consultation.
    We want to try neodymium magnets for our separator. We learned that magnetic flux density could be reached 1.5T (tesla) at N52-N54 neodymium magnets. But we also learned two important things;

First that magnetic flux density of the magnets depends on the geometry (disc/block/sphere) and size of the magnet;

Second magnetic flux density could be raised if using the system of magnets with special packing of these magnets.

So I have a few questions

1) What geometry of the magnet will give the maximum magnetic flux density?

2) How can I calculate the size of magnet with highest magnetic flux density? For example efficient size of magnet blocks.

3) What packing of magnets will give the highest magnetic flux density? How can I calculate the best packing?

Maybe somebody here can help us.

Thanks in advance.

Unhappy See Google

For this kind of application you will need a reference textbook or. Google etc articles.
    Forum members who might know would be cutting their own throats by revealing hard won information here.
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com

Gary Blenkhorn
    Bulk Handling Technology Inc.

Professional Experience 40 Years / 4 Month Gary Blenkhorn has 40 Years and 4 Month professional experience

Discussions 99 Gary Blenkhorn acceded to 99 discussions, Publications 0 Gary Blenkhorn Blenkhorn released 0 publications

Know-How Design (315) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 315 times, Belt Conveyors (135) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 135 times, Software (55) Gary Blenkhorn used this tag 55 times

You're asking for free engineering services. Not likely to happen.

As John says. Google may be your best friend.
    Gary Blenkhorn
    President - Bulk Handling Technology Inc.
    gblenkhorn@bulkht.ca
    http://www.bulkht.ca

Offering Conveyor Design Services, DEM Flow Simulation Services, Conveyor Transfer Design Services, SolidWorks Design Services for equipment layouts and Software for the Bulk Material Industry.

thomaslamotte Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbelousov View Post
    Me and my friend want to make a strong as possible (made from permanent magnets) homemade metal separator for seeds. We are not good in the physics of such level, so we need consultation.
    We want to try neodymium magnets for our separator. We learned that magnetic flux density could be reached 1.5T (tesla) at N52-N54 neodymium magnets. But we also learned two important things;

First that magnetic flux density of the magnets depends on the geometry (disc/block/sphere) and size of the magnet;

Second magnetic flux density could be raised if using the system of magnets with special packing of these magnets.

So I have a few questions

1) What geometry of the magnet will give the maximum magnetic flux density?

2) How can I calculate the size of magnet with highest magnetic flux density? For example efficient size of magnet blocks.

3) What packing of magnets will give the highest magnetic flux density? How can I calculate the best packing?

Maybe somebody here can help us.

Thanks in advance.
    You can find some general information on magnetic separation here : https://www.powderprocess.net/Equipm...l/Magnets.html

Now for ensuring a good separation, it is more than recommended to contact a reputable company in magnetic separation rather than doing "home made"