Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Fighting / Protection for Coal Conveyors?

Lawrence K. Nordell

Lawrence K. Nordell

President and CEO

Conveyor Dynamics Inc.

Conveyor Dynamics Inc.

Professional Experience 59 Years / 10 Month Lawrence K. Nordell has 59 Years and 10 Month professional experience

Discussions 2622 Lawrence K. Nordell acceded to 2622 discussions, Articles 0 Lawrence K. Nordell wrote 0 articles, Publications 0 Lawrence K. Nordell Nordell released 0 publications

Searching nothing specified

Know-How Design (1524) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 1524 times, Pipe Conveyor (239) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 239 times, Chutes (119) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 119 times

Belt Fire Prevention-Protection, Detection & Mitigation

There are many aspects to fire protection, detection and control:

Prevention-Protection:

Prevention-Protection is the first priority and involves eliminating dust build-up through a series of design conditions. Today we rely on special chute design geometries to enhance flow and minimize dust liberation. In order to quantify dust, you must know the gas dynamics and turbulence effects within and beyond the chute.

There are classical formulations of the production of turbulent flow that will place particles into suspension. Special chute geometries both minimize turbulence and confine the turbulence generated to localized zones that can be partitioned. Then entrainment is somewhat controlled by creating stilling chambers to reduce the velocity and increase retention time to allow particle decanting. Make skirts longer with higher belt speeds.

Higher belt speed will contribute to dust generation. Economy versus protection must be given consideration.

There are common sense methods of minimizing dust such as carry back and materials entrained or attached to the belt that will bypass belt cleaners or escape through openings in skirts and related containers.

Counter-flow in tunnels will liberate dust on the coal surface. Knowing the degree is necessary. We have placed hood covering to partition counter-flow and enhance with-flow turbulence control.

Design of structures around the loading station should have minimum components that allow settlement onto surfaces that can create sufficient piles for fulminating damp conditions. All surface shapes should be developed the shed dust including special coverings that enhance gravitational

Dust abatement through dust suppression devices and materials such as nebulizers, sprays, ....

Wash down regime.

Detection:

Sensors at loading/discharge where most first will start - infrared, smoke, high temperature, ..... Dust monitors

Mitigation:

Detection and partioning of the fire-smoke zones often apply foam curtains to seal the fire zone once high heat and smoke is detected

Detection by "Protecto-Wire" type systems is often used to identify idler bearing fires along the conveyor and around the critical rotating equipment.

Water sprays have been applied to quench the high temperature idler and drive machinery locations, especially in tunnels.

-----------------------

As others claim the subject is quite vast and is continually changing. User groups gather to discuss this subject on an annual basis. You should become informed on their insights through SME, et al, such as:

http://www.prbcoals.com/pdf/PRBCoalI...protection.pdf

Good Luck,
    Lawrence Nordell
    Conveyor Dynamics, Inc.

website, email & phone contacts:
    www.conveyor-dynamics.com
    nordell@conveyor-dynamics.com
    phone: USA 360-671-2200
    fax: USA 360-671-8450

2. Liner Heat Detection, etc

Thanks, Lyle, for the web links. It's clear that great minds think alike, because I had already visited these web pages. Although we have over 6,000 metres of U/G conveyors, our focus is on the transfer points and drive-heads given the propensity for the build up of fines in these areas and the value of the assets. As such, our efforts are prioritised on detecting a fire at these points in time to put it out before it causes too much damage. Naturally, housekeeping regimes are critical to the prevention aspect of the fire "life-cycle", so this is also an imnportant part of our solution.

The reason I'm babbling on is that we've decided (at this stage) not to use LHD at the rotating elements, but instead sue fast acting pilot detectors that activate a water deluge system. In the future I'd like to see LHD running the full ,ength of the conveyor system, but the cost will be significant as you can imagine.

However, on that note, does anyone out there have experience comparing different detection techniques in/around the drive/loop take-up/transfer points on U/G coal conveyors? I appreciate that the design of these systems will have a big impact on the soluiton, but any further feedbaclk would be welcomed.

Cheers

Andrew

3. Thanks Lawrence

Hi Lawrence. I'm noe to this forum thing, so am still learning. I had meant to post a reply specifically to your response, but I see there's not necessaarily a specific link. Anyway, thanks for your response. It looks like it will prove useful, not least because it aligns with some of the work we've done!

I appreciate your response.

Andrew

Lawrence K. Nordell

Lawrence K. Nordell

President and CEO

Conveyor Dynamics Inc.

Conveyor Dynamics Inc.

Professional Experience 59 Years / 10 Month Lawrence K. Nordell has 59 Years and 10 Month professional experience

Discussions 2622 Lawrence K. Nordell acceded to 2622 discussions, Articles 0 Lawrence K. Nordell wrote 0 articles, Publications 0 Lawrence K. Nordell Nordell released 0 publications

Searching nothing specified

Know-How Design (1524) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 1524 times, Pipe Conveyor (239) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 239 times, Chutes (119) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 119 times

Andrew,

I am happy to continue discussions on the forum. I also have my email on the bottom of each posting made.
    Lawrence Nordell
    Conveyor Dynamics, Inc.

website, email & phone contacts:
    www.conveyor-dynamics.com
    nordell@conveyor-dynamics.com
    phone: USA 360-671-2200
    fax: USA 360-671-8450

5. belt protection

dear all:

does anybody has the idea or tools for catching the belt when conveyor belt broken?

so many thanks

john

Conveyor systems in general have a fire risk due to external events and equipment
    failure. However the flammable nature of coal including the ability of some types to self
    ignite introduces an exceptional hazard requiring special consideration.
    Last edited by lzaharis; 4th September 2012 at 19:19.

7. Best Fire Detection & Fighting system / techniques

Fires on conveyors are rare but the fire possible is considerable. In incidents, which have occurred, the damage has been severe, particularly where conveyor fires have reached and enveloped the destination e.g. Boiler house coal bunkers as in case of thermal power stations. The design of conveyors is that the wind tunneling or chimney effect is an inherent feature on inclined conveyors and this causes rapid spread of fire through the conveyors.

Best Fire Detection & Fighting system / techniques are Fire Hydrant, Sprinkler System, MVWS, HVWS System, Transformer Fire Protection - Nitrogen Injection System, Fire Alarm - Conventional / Addressable, Gas Suppression System FM200, Inergen, Novec, Argonite, CO2 Gas Suppression System, Fire Tenders - Water, Foam, DCP and Multi Purpose Tender, Trailer Fire Pump, Portable Fire Pump and Fire Extinguishers, DCP Trolley - 150kgs / 250kgs. Gas leak Detection Systems - LPG, Hydragen , Sulphur Di Oxide Etc.

For quality safety products you can refer https://www.sos-safety.com/ as they have huge collection of fire safety equipment.

Lightbulb A Burning Question - Burnt Out

This last post...or so it should be. Since starting over 8 years ago there has been a dearth of really meaningful comment apart from Isa Harris's reference to the NFPA Handbook. I would reiterate Mr Harris's recommendation for that best source of information.
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12