Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used ISO Tanks ?

Andyde Guest

Where are all the used ISO tanks ?

I wanted to write down a few thoughts concerning what we are currently experiencing in the industry, regarding ISO tank container availability.

This past week I was traveling back from Boston to Houston, I try to catch up on my reading when I am at 30,000 FT, when I picked up an interesting article from Newsweek discussing current US economic trends. I can only speak from this side of the pond, knowing that conditions maybe a little different in Asia and Europe, but the trend that we have seen here makes sense to me after reading this article.

In a one line summary, what we are seeing out of the US is a tremendous boom in exports in the form of commodities such as chemicals. Normally where utilization rates kept themselves checked right around the mid 80%, we have seen those rates spike to the mid 90’s. What does all this mean? Exports are creating an enormous wave of demand and every ISO tank available is being utilized to sustain customer’s demands. It is a little more complex than that; but I think you get the point.

Where in the past we have maintained large stock quantities of used ISO tank containers in our Houston terminal; the story is much different now.
    This is slowly starting to swing back around but in the meantime, we have decided to replace and complement our used ISO tank inventory with new T11 (24,000 Liters) units currently on the ground for sale. We are hoping to give our customers choices, as we have always done so in the past, when a project requires immediate action.

Tip: If you find any used tanks available for sale, make sure they are certified by a world class society such as Lloyds Register, BVQI, and DNV with new 5 year test certificates available before the tanks are shipped.

For more information, feel free to email me at andyd (@) tankservice (.) com
    Last edited by Andyde; 19th January 2009 at 17:55. Reason: email spam

Andyde Guest
    Someone asked me the other day about the ISO Tank Containers periodic, maintenance/check, inspection operations that must be carried out on ISO Tank containers, every 2 and 1/2 year.

Answer courtesy of ITCO.

For portable tanks meeting the definition of "container" in the CSC, a prototype representing each design shall be subjected to an impact test. The prototype portable tank shall be shown to be capable of absorbing the forces resulting from an impact not less than 4 times (4 g) the MPGM of the fully filled portable tank at a duration typical of the mechanical shocks experienced in rail transport. The following is a listing of standards describing methods acceptable for performing the impact test:
    Association of American Railroads,
    Manual of Standards and Recommended Practices,
    Specifications for Acceptability of Tank Containers (AAR.600), 1992
    National Standard of Canada,
    CAN/CGSB-43.147-2002, "Construction, Modification, Qualification, Maintenance, and Selection and Use of Means of Containment for the Handling, Offering for Transport or Transporting of Dangerous Goods by Rail", March 2002,
    published by the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB).
    Deutsche Bahn AG
    DB Systemtechnik, Minden
    Verifikation und Versuche, TZF 96.2
    Portable tanks, longitudinal impact test
    Société nationale des chemins de fer français
    C.N.E.S.T. 002-1966.
    Tank containers, longitudinal external stresses and dynamic impact tests
    Spoornet, South Africa
    Engineering Development Centre (EDC)
    Testing of ISO Tank Containers
    Method EDC/TES/023/000/1991-06

The shell and items of equipment of each portable tank shall be inspected and tested before being put into service for the first time (initial inspection and test) and thereafter at not more than five-year intervals (5-year periodic inspection and test) with an intermediate periodic inspection and test (2.5-year periodic inspection and test) midway between the 5-year periodic inspections and tests. The 2.5-year periodic inspection and test may be performed within 3 months of the specified date.
    An exceptional inspection and test shall be performed regardless of the date of the last periodic inspection and test when necessary according to 6.7.2.19.7.

The initial inspection and test of a portable tank shall include a check of the design characteristics, an internal and external examination of the portable tank and its fittings with due regard to the substances to be transported, and a pressure test.
    Before the portable tank is placed into service, a leakproofness test and a test of the satisfactory operation of all service equipment shall also be performed. When the shell and its fittings have been pressure-tested separately, they shall be subjected together after assembly to a leakproofness test.

The 5-year periodic inspection and test shall include an internal and external examination and, as a general rule, a hydraulic pressure test. For tanks only used for the transport of solid substances other than toxic or corrosive substances, which do not liquefy during transport, the hydraulic pressure test may be replaced by a suitable pressure test at 1.5 times MAWP, subject to competent authority approval. Sheathing, thermal insulation and the like shall be removed only to the extent required for reliable appraisal of the condition of the portable tank. When the shell and equipment have been pressure-tested separately, they shall be subjected together after assembly to a leakproofness test.

The heating system shall be subject to inspection and tests including pressure tests on heating coils or ducts during the 5-year periodic inspection.

The intermediate 2.5-year periodic inspection and test shall at least include an internal and external examination of the portable tank and its fittings with due regard to the substances intended to be transported, a leakproofness test and a test of the satisfactory operation of all service equipment. Sheathing, thermal insulation and the like shall be removed only to the extent required for reliable appraisal of the condition of the portable tank. For portable tanks dedicated to the transport of a single substance, the 2.5-year internal examination may be waived or substituted by other test methods or inspection procedures specified by the competent authority or its authorized body.

A portable tank may not be filled and offered for transport after the date of expiry of the last 5-year or 2.5-year periodic inspection and test as required by 6.7.2.19.2.
    However, a portable tank filled prior to the date of expiry of the last periodic inspection and test may be transported for a period not to exceed three months beyond the date of expiry of the last periodic test or inspection. In addition, a portable tank may be transported after the date of expiry of the last periodic test and inspection:
    after emptying but before cleaning, for purposes of performing the next required test or inspection prior to refilling; and
    unless otherwise approved by the competent authority, for a period not to exceed
    six months beyond the date of expiry of the last periodic test or inspection, in order to allow the return of dangerous goods for proper disposal or recycling. Reference to this exemption shall be mentioned in the transport document.

I hope that helps and as always, don't hesitate to contact us at Tank Service Inc. For more information equipment information andavailablity, email me at andyd@tankservice.com

Andyde Guest
    Q: What T-code are Asphalt ISO tanks built to?

A: [T3] ISO Tak Container
    Design: ASME section VIII, div 1.
    Material: Barrel SA-36 , Frame carbon steel
    Shell: ¼” thick
    Heads: ¼” thick
    Head type: F&D
    Capacity: 22,340 Liters (5901 gal)
    Weight: 11,276 lbs
    Accessories: Relief valve / manway / thermometer / out fire tube / in fire tube / valves included.
    MAWP: 25 psig
    Dimensions: 20’-0” long x 8’-0” wide x 8’-6” Tall
    External finish: Epoxy zinc primer w/ 2” insulation / aluminum cladding.
    FOB: Houston, Texas (in depot)

Please email me for a set of full specifications:

andyd (at) tankservice (dot) com
    (too much spam lately)
    713-665-3001

www.tankservice.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imgp0828-sm.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	9251  

Andyde Guest
    Hi all-
    Thank you for all your questions...
    I wanted to share with you our new blog where you can ask specific questions, leave comments...etc...

You can visit us at:
    http://isotankcontainer.wordpress.com/

We also have a new blog for our static storage division.
    http://storagetanks.wordpress.com/

Wishing you a great week!
    Andy
    www.tankservice.com

Andyde Guest

IMO-5 tanks

Used IMO-5 tanks available for sale.
    Follow the link to our blog...

http://isotankcontainer.wordpress.com/

Andyde Guest
    Chlorine ISO tanks, US spec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04451.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	11303  

Andyde Guest
    4x new T11 , 24,000 Liter tanks currently on the ground in Houston.

Email me for spec's at andyd @ tankservice. com

Andyde Guest

Double Compartment ISO Tank- Used

We are excited to be working on the creation of a double compartment ISO tank container. The interested part of this project is that we are taking a standard used ISO tank and peforming major surgey. This will tank will eventually finish with two internal compartents, ready to load two individual and different products.

Stay tuned to our blog to find out....
    http://isotankcontainer.wordpress.com

Thanks for looking...
    Andy D.

Andyde Guest

Used IMO7 Cryogenic ISO tank Container available for sale

Dear valued customer and friend-

First of all, thank you for all the inquiries, I am always available to answer any questions regarding availability, technical, or referring you to the correct party.

Historically, Cryogenic ISO tanks IMO7 / T75 have been a rare request, simply because of their highly specialized nature. I am happy to share that we can offer you a handful of 'used' units available in Houston.

Below is a sample spec, but feel free to email me for full details:
    andyd (at) tankservice (dot) com or call me at +1-713-665-3001
    www.tankservice.com

ASME Code Section VIII Div. 1
    • Material: SA-240 GR 304
    • MAWP: 145 PSI
    • Water Capacity: 5,350 Gallons/20,252 Liters
    • Design Temperature:

Design Code: ANSI B.31
    • Material: SA-312 GR 304
    • Liquid Line/Drain: 2”
    • Top Fill: 1-1/2”
    • Safety/Vent: 2”
    • Instruments: 3/8”
    • PB: 1”

These IMO7 ISO Tank Containers are good for LOX, LIN, LAR, LNG and N2O.

Hi Andy,
    Do you know how can I can quote 1 Iso tank of 25,000 liters capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyde View Post
    I wanted to write down a few thoughts concerning what we are currently experiencing in the industry, regarding ISO tank container availability.

This past week I was traveling back from Boston to Houston, I try to catch up on my reading when I am at 30,000 FT, when I picked up an interesting article from Newsweek discussing current US economic trends. I can only speak from this side of the pond, knowing that conditions maybe a little different in Asia and Europe, but the trend that we have seen here makes sense to me after reading this article.

In a one line summary, what we are seeing out of the US is a tremendous boom in exports in the form of commodities such as chemicals. Normally where utilization rates kept themselves checked right around the mid 80%, we have seen those rates spike to the mid 90’s. What does all this mean? Exports are creating an enormous wave of demand and every ISO tank available is being utilized to sustain customer’s demands. It is a little more complex than that; but I think you get the point.

Where in the past we have maintained large stock quantities of used ISO tank containers in our Houston terminal; the story is much different now.
    This is slowly starting to swing back around but in the meantime, we have decided to replace and complement our used ISO tank inventory with new T11 (24,000 Liters) units currently on the ground for sale. We are hoping to give our customers choices, as we have always done so in the past, when a project requires immediate action.

Tip: If you find any used tanks available for sale, make sure they are certified by a world class society such as Lloyds Register, BVQI, and DNV with new 5 year test certificates available before the tanks are shipped.

For more information, feel free to email me at andyd (@) tankservice (.) com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast