Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula for rate of travel of material over vibrating feeder

Wink What Colour for the Lumps?

Hi Roland,

I have to agree with most of your 2nd paragraph. The academic standards in Russia and Eastern Europe leave the rest of us in the shade with or without computers. I fondly remember that half Irish/Ukrainian, Tim O'Shenko! I was trying to point out that Coptic characters arouse the unlearned Westerner because when we see letters that are familiar but pointed the wrong way round we assume that they were changed from the original and earlier Roman alignment either as code or just simply to be different, dare I say Un-Orthodox?

I still think that measuring the timed progress of coloured lumps with a video camera at x frames per second would give better results quicker than procuring a textbook, digesting it, designing the machine, testing the machine and probably having to repeat the later stages if the book led you up the garden path. Obscure texts are hardly ever proof read and I have often had to check unrealistic results of calculations because the formulae had bracketed terms in the wrong place, exponentials wrongly signed and factors undefined. I haven't bought a textbook since 1995 and I left that one somewhere in between Dubai and Newcastle-upon-Tyne because it wasn't worth paying the excess baggage.
    I am, of course, assuming that Mr Borijan has access to a vibrating gadget on which he can observe the speed since, as you point out, he seems to be rather immersed in the subject.
    Have a nice weekend.
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com

2. conveying machine

Quote Originally Posted by borjian View Post
    Hi.

How can I access this handbook? Is there any link to download it? Or Is it possible to send it by email?

Best Regards.

Masoud Borjian
    borjian@gmail.com
    If you are living in Iran, you can find it in the library of Sharif University of Technology.

George Baker

George Baker

Vice President- Corporate Communications

Assinck Ltd. [eDir]

Assinck Ltd.

Professional Experience 39 Years / 6 Month George Baker has 39 Years and 6 Month professional experience

Discussions 883 George Baker acceded to 883 discussions, Articles 0 George Baker wrote 0 articles, Publications 0 George Baker Baker released 0 publications

Searching nothing specified

Know-How Screening (373) George Baker used this tag 373 times, Manufacturer (110) George Baker used this tag 110 times, Conveying (28) George Baker used this tag 28 times

lets give this a try for an answer......

The formula for FPM (Foot per minute travel) is in fact inherint in the mathematical forumula for travel rate factors for horizontal screens and feeders.
    on a VGF (vibrating grizzly feeder) at o degree incline, at a standard 45 deg straight line stroke angle, the FPM travel rate is about 45 feet per min...780 RPM +-
    same for an elliptical stroke or a flywheel with removable plug weights). you of couse, can spray paint some rocks, toss them into the pan and time the rocks to determine how many seconds to travel from the feed end to the discharge end.

inclined screen = plus minus 75 FPM travel rate which assumes 20 deg incline angle, per the standard VSMA calc, plug in factor constant. can paint and time also.

Hoping this shakes up this concept a bit........

George Baker
    FORUM MODERATOR

How to calculate the rate of travel or velocity of material on feeder if we know the stroke angle, motion type (linear/ circular), speed of feeder in RPM?
    As per VSMA for horizontal screen it is 45 fpm and for inclined screen 75 fpm, but what is the formula for exact velocity of material?

Regards,
    StuD[/QUOTE]
    Best Regards,

George Baker
    Regional Sales Mgr - Canada
    TELSMITH Inc
    Mequon, Wisconsin
    1-519-242-6664 Cell
    E: (work) gbaker@telsmith.com
    E: (home) gggman353@gmail.com

Manufacturer of portable, modular and stationary mineral processing equipment for the aggregate and mining industries.

luisss749 Guest

Table 13.1

Hello, can you upload the page with the table 13.1?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Luis Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by mohandes View Post
    below pages from:

Conveying Machines, by A. O. Spivakovsky

maybe useful in calculating linear velocity of vibrating equipment.

roscho Guest

application

Yes please table 13.1 is missing and formula 2.8 also.
    Mohandes, please could you check again the book.

Thanks,
    Thomas from Slovenia

Unhappy The Science of Enginerring!

@ George Baker

I see the academics are still hovering overhead...where they belong.
    Surley if a textbook, or similar, is going to be taken seriously then the theory is borne out in practice. In most enginerring textbooks there is very little mention of actual test results. The same is also true of much of the software presented to youngsters: although in those cases the crap comes to the surface that much quicker.

The only test technique elaborated in these forums was the method for draught surveying. Draught is being spelled correctly in deference to the Royal Navy and probably Captain James Cook. (Prior to the RN landing troops on the Heights of Abraham, Cook was charged with sounding out the river bed: under sniper fire. NASA found that Cook's work was in error. Some months later NASA had to whisper an apology, and admit that Cook's 200+ year old calculations were actually correct. So it seems that tests have their value after all: even in this precocious age. Especially if they are accurate.)
    John Gateley
    johngateley@hotmail.com
    www.the-credible-bulk.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by stud1 View Post
    Dear All,

How to calculate the rate of travel or velocity of material on feeder if we know the stroke angle, motion type (linear/ circular), speed of feeder in RPM?
    As per VSMA for horizontal screen it is 45 fpm and for inclined screen 75 fpm, but what is the formula for exact velocity of material?

Regards,
    StuD
    There is no real way to actually calculate the material velocity because of the many variables stated but as a guide i use 0,15 m/sec for a 6 mm stroke at 960 RPM on the horizontal with clean dry sand. If you increase the stoke so the velocity will increase. if you decline the feeder or screen and gravity is helping then there is again a increase.
    Hennie Nageol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12