Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Conveyor Belt Washers/Scrapers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Posts
    8

    Conveyor Belt Washers/Scrapers

    I want to use a washer type spray system just before a scraper that is installed on the return side of the belt, just after the head pulley.

    I am now using a carbide type scraper which is cleaning about 60-70% of the carry over. The other 30% (Fines/small particules) are going by the scraper. I would like some suggestions on a fairly simple type of washer that I could install at a reasonable cost.

    I used various combinations of scrapers but still get carry-over.
    Any other suggestions would be aprreciated.

    Thanks,
    R.Babin Note: Lead/Zinc mine application

  2. Dear Mr. Babin,

    Quality wash boxes, complete with spring loaded scrapers are available from Martin Engineering (www.martin-eng.com). These have a long history of effectiveness and are relatively inexpensive. Other options are available - including building your own.

    The one concern I have (being a Herring Chocker from Woodstock) is the cold winters in the Bathurst area. This can present problems with freezing with startups after shutdowns.

    Regards,
    Dave Miller
    ADM Consulting
    10668 Newbury Ave., N.W.,
    Uniontown, Ohio 44685 USA
    Tel: 001 330 265 5881
    FAX: 001 330 494 1704
    E-mail: admconsulting@cs.com

  3. While scrapers are inexpensive and easy to maintain, belt washers need somewhat more complex systems to be effective.

    In general you have two types of systems, pressure washers and brush washers. The pressure washers are less complex but, in my opinion, require more maintenance and are less efficient.

    In either case, these systems require more engineering resources in the specification, selection and instalation than the regular scraper. However with todays cost of automation, the results of a properly designed and installed system can be very advantageous compared with those from a belt scraper.


    Antonio Reis
    Vitrom Mfg Consultants
    Your Process and Manufacturing Solutions
    Phone: 209.834.1900
    Fax: 209.834.1039
    www.vitrom.com

  4. Hello R Babin,

    You intend to opt for water cleaning in the return run. I presume, conveyor must be a long one, otherwise for a short conveyor, the wet surface of the belt will come in contact with the material. Plus water freezing issue as pointed out by Mr. Dave Miller.
    Such system will need water supply and drainage system (of small capacity) for water mixed with material dust, as applicable.

    Regards,
    Ishwar G Mulani.
    Author of Book : Engineering Science and Application Design for Belt Conveyors.
    Email : parimul@pn2.vsnl.net.in
    Tel.: 0091 (0)20 25882916

  5. We usually recommend a washing system after a primary and secondary belt cleaning system. In this way the wash box cleaner does not become overwelmed with carry back. The washing system contains a cleaner for removing what little carry back is left after the primary and secondary cleaner, and water wipers fro removing most of the water.

    We can aslo provide an air knife to totally dry the belt if necessary.
    Larry J. Goldbeck
    Martin Engineering

  6. #6

    Conveyor Belt Washers/Scrapers

    We have a range of belt scrapers that have been used very succesfully in many South African mines in wet and dry conditions.
    Have a look at our website for full details.


    Regards
    Anthony Harris
    Design Engineer
    Extreme Products
    Last edited by Gary Blenkhorn; 4th April 2015 at 22:06.

Similar Threads

  1. Conveying Sugar on a Belt Conveyor
    By Scott Neidigh in forum General Aspects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th January 2006, 10:41
  2. Belt Conveyors(Steel v/s Nylon belt)
    By Rajesh Mendiratta in forum General Aspects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st April 2004, 14:28
  3. Book on Belt Conveyor Technology
    By I G Mulani in forum General Aspects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th November 2000, 14:44
  4. Conveyor Belt Technology book
    By I G Mulani in forum General Aspects
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th November 2000, 14:20
  5. Finite element belt conveyor models
    By Alfredo Salinas in forum General Aspects
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th November 2000, 16:04

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO