Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust from Conveyor Operations

JPD3362 Guest

Dust from Conveyor Operations

As part of the NEBS management course that i am following i need to undertake a project to resolve a issue within my work inviroment.
    I am looking at ways to control the dust emmisions from the conveyor operations at our coal fired power staion and would be great full for any ideas on this issue.

many thanks
    jon

Richard Davies - Dustex, USA Guest

Thumbs up Ideas

You might get a copy of the "Industrial Ventilation Handbook" published by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. There are many good recommendations regarding your problem in that publication.

3. Hello Jon,

There are two methods to minimize dust emission in surrounding environment.

1) Dust extraction system :
    As an example, this is like domestic vacuum cleaners wherein air is extracted at dust generation area, dust separated and clean air is discharged in to atmosphere. Example is only for simple explanation, however, dust extraction systems are of much larger size, in specialized form and designed for continuous operation round the clock.

2) Dust suppression system :
    The dust suppression system applies fine spray of water or water mixed with chemicals. The spray wets the particles and the particles settle down due to heavier weight. Dust suppression is often preferred however, its limitations are:
    - Addition of water / moisture, may be objectionable for certain material
    - One avoids to add water / moisture before crushing / before screening, because it may interfere with the crushing / screening operation.
    The dust suppression is also used to prevent dust being carried by air from stock-pile surfaces. In this, water is sprayed on stock pile surface at regular time intervals, automatically.

Both the above systems have been extensively used in India in many coal-based power stations (around 150 power stations).

There are manufacturers of both these systems in UK. You can contact them and seek their suggestions / recommendations / literature.

Regards,
    Ishwar G Mulani.
    Author of Book : Engineering Science and Application Design for Belt Conveyor.
    Email : parimul@pn2.vsnl.net.in
    Tel.: 0091 (0)20 5882916
    Last edited by I G Mulani; 10th November 2003 at 18:37.

Lawrence K. Nordell

Lawrence K. Nordell

President and CEO

Conveyor Dynamics Inc. [eDir]

Conveyor Dynamics Inc.

Professional Experience 58 Years / 8 Month Lawrence K. Nordell has 58 Years and 8 Month professional experience

Discussions 2608 Lawrence K. Nordell acceded to 2608 discussions, Articles 0 Lawrence K. Nordell wrote 0 articles, Publications 0 Lawrence K. Nordell Nordell released 0 publications

Searching nothing specified

Know-How Design (1521) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 1521 times, Pipe Conveyor (238) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 238 times, Chutes (119) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 119 times

A 3rd Method of Dust Emission Control:

PREVENTION: don't generate the dust and you don't have to extract or suppress it. Properly designed chute transfers, using engineering physics of solids granular flow and gas dynamics turbulence, will minimize dust emission levels and overall maintenance. Chute designs can be compared and differences quantified which exhibit lowest gas velocities to warranty dust leves by particle size.

Why spend unnecessary monies on collection and suppression?

Lawrence Nordell
    Conveyor Dynamics, Inc.
    website & contacts: www.conveyor-dynamics.com

5. Dear Sir.
    We have similar problems in our Sea Port Terminal, we have to unload 100.000 ton of coal a year and we have the port terminal prepared with ship unloader, conveyors, silos, and Spouts for so many products differents to coal then we are doing engineering to solve the problem. Mainly with dust emission because the enviro regulations are very strict in Chile.
    Some of the ways are well related in the forum for one of the peoples from India, the moisture of water is one way if your client can accept 2% plus of water in the product.
    If you have closed your conveyors the sistem works very well.
    Regards
    Marcelo Alonso.
    Santiago - Chile
    Marcelo A Alonso.

Andy Miller- RSA Guest
    Good Day,

I would be delighted for my engineering department to have a closer look at your specific problem, please feel free to contact us on pronet1@mweb.co.za

I am MD of Benetech SA based in Witbank, South Africa.

Kind Regards

Andy Miller

Tel: + 27 13 6974617

Dust from Conveyor Operations: Coal

To find more information on Benetech in general, you may consult the website www.benetechusa.com.

Benetech GmbH in Germany has extensive experience with dust management for hard and brown coal conveyed. Among others, Benetech GmbH has been a partner of MIBRAG, the largest brown coal producer of Germany for many years now, providing dust suppression for their brown coal mine.
    The Benetech Engineering departments will be pleased to help you in finding a solution for your dust problem.

Best regards,

Benetech GmbH
    Karl Liebknecht Str. 27
    D-06682 Deuben near Leipzig
    Germany
    Email: benetech@gmx.de
    Tel: +49-34441-445-0
    Fax: +49-34441-445-20

capotex Guest
    Covering the conveyors where the coal is transported will help to suppress the dust created by wind blowing.

For more info, visit www.capotex.com

9. Given the number of replies, it is evident that the remedy to your dust control problem will depend on its cause - which you have not identified. Since you happen to be in a country with many resources available to you, you can get help relatively easily.

I suggest that you contact belt/conveyor service companies, such as Vulcanisers International in Lancashire. Alternatively, companies such as Benetech or Rema can offer assistance.

Good luck with your project.
    Dave Miller
    ADM Consulting
    10668 Newbury Ave., N.W.,
    Uniontown, Ohio 44685 USA
    Tel: 001 330 265 5881
    FAX: 001 330 494 1704
    E-mail: admconsulting@cs.com

Ingolf Neubecker - Thyssenkrupp Robins, USA Guest

Dust from Conveyor Operations

Generated Fugitive Dust Emissions are largely eliminated.
    This is based on proper design of conveyor transfer chutes. Using DEM, material testing, chute design know-how, air flow technology, and dust generation is minimized to the lowest level as acceptable to your local environmental agency. Do not use any costly dust collection or dust suppression. ThyssenKrupp Robins C.U.S.T.O.M. Chutes TM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast