Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push-pull Dust Collection

Push-pull Dust Collection

I recently came across a test rig using the so-called push-pull arrangement in a conveyor transfer chute. The material is iron ore at 4,000 tones/h.

A blower is used to blow air from the front of the chute to a collection hood at the back.

I am aware of the use of this technique for fume collection, e.g., on plating tanks. Has anyone heard of its application to dust collection?

Regards,

Michael Reid.

wooddarren Guest
    Push pull systems can also be applied for dust control to provide greater contaminant control via the jet flow than is possible with a hood alone, allowing a much greater "reach" from the collection hood. This has been applied in foundries in the shakeout step to control airborne silica from the mold sand.

Richard Davies - Dustex, USA Guest
    Darren is certainly right. While predominantly used for tank / open vessel applications, the push-pull system is finding new uses everyday.

The "push" system is very effective in transporting the contaminated airstream in a controlled manner over a much greater distance than that contaminated air can be "pulled" by an exhaust hood.

As outlined in the ventilation handbook, care must be taken to ensure that operator exposure is not increased (if applicable) by incorrect design, application and operation of a push - pull system.

Peter Wypych

Peter Wypych

Professor and Engineer

University of Wollongong [eDir]

University of Wollongong

Professional Experience 32 Years / 6 Month Peter Wypych has 32 Years and 6 Month professional experience

Discussions 18 Peter Wypych acceded to 18 discussions, Articles 0 Peter Wypych wrote 0 articles, Publications 0 Peter Wypych Wypych released 0 publications

Searching nothing specified

Know-How Pneumatic Conveying (12) Peter Wypych used this tag 12 times, Filtration (1) Peter Wypych used this tag 1 times, Bulk Materials Handling (1) Peter Wypych used this tag 1 times

The push-pull system has been used in certain dust and dust-fume applications, but there is a risk of generating extra dust and increasing dust loading in the exhaust/collection system (due to entrainment of high velocity jet). Hence, it has only had limited application.
    peter_wypych@uow.edu.au

Dennis Hauch - Freeport, TX, USA Guest

Pull-Push Dust Collection

Pull-Push is an excellent application for dust collection. One important design tip will insure its success - provide for 10% more Pull volume than Push volume. That is easily done even with single blower systems.

Dennis Hauch

Richard Davies - Dustex, USA Guest

Push Pull

Excellent point Dennis.

The points made by posters are all good and relevant. I have discovered that the exhaust quantities used in the subject "test rig" are 30 to 40% more than would be used with conventional techniques, also that there is a "drop-out box" in the exhaust ducting at the back of the chute. Evidently testers found that there is a heavier dust load than normal (as warned by Peter Wypich). I question whether this technique gives any better control than the normal one. It is certainly more complicated, more expensive to build and maintain.

Michael Reid.

8. I would just like to know on following points:

1) How does it compare on cost / price basis.
    2) Comparison of space required for installation.
    3) Technical gain i.e. comparison of quantity of dust present in surrounding place.

Regards,
    Ishwar G Mulani.
    Author of Book : Engineering Science and Application Design for Belt Conveyor.
    Email : parimul@pn2.vsnl.net.in
    Tel.: 0091 (0)20 5882916

9. Pus Pull Dust Collection

From where I sit, I think that PP dust collection is for cases where there is an open area that needs dust control eg open topped tanks.

For belt conveyors etc., the key is inflow velocity at all openings whihc is greater than the velicty of any generted dust particles. Closing up all opening as much as possible helps as long as the extraction volume is higher than the induced volume, thermal expansion etc etc...or u will have a jet stream of dust coming out.

Thanks

James Morrish

I have found out that the designer's intention is to blow adhering dust off a product of uniform size (briquettes). The owner claims very good dust control as shown by videos, but I claim you will get that anyway using 40% more airflow than standard methods. It will require lots of testing and measurement to find out which method is more effective.

Michael Reid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast