Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conveying Raw Material for Cement Production

Conveying Raw Material for Cement Production

Hello Experts ,

What is prefer to conveying raw material at 200 tone / h , 40 m in vertical and 180 m horizontal , Screw pneumatic pump or tank pressure ?
    What difference between ?
    How much air quantity and pressure for the two and pipe sizes .

Thanks for your replay

Dark

Teus Tuinenburg

Professional Experience 50 Years / 8 Month Teus Tuinenburg has 50 Years and 8 Month professional experience

Discussions 1809 Teus Tuinenburg acceded to 1809 discussions, Articles 10 Teus Tuinenburg wrote 10 articles, Publications 0 Teus Tuinenburg Tuinenburg released 0 publications

Searching Falsifications in my perception of pneumatic conveying

Know-How Conveying (1377) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1377 times, Pneumatic Conveying (1180) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1180 times, Pneumatic (46) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 46 times

Dear Darkhe,

I understand that you want to convey raw material for cement production pneumatically.

The first thing to establish is whether the raw material is pneumatically conveyable.

Wet raw material or dry raw material?
    Particle size?
    Basic raw material or the mix of raw materials?
    Material (particle) density?
    Bulk density?
    This information is at least required to calculate a pneumatic conveying system.

Then the issue of a screw feeder system of a double pressure tank system can be addressed.

For the time being, search this forum for the term “screw feeder” and you will probably find most of the answers to your questions.

Have a nice day
    Teus
    Teus

3. Hi - seems like a study is required

You should contact the main suppliers for their prelim, offers.

The decision on which system rest with a few factors - costs - CAPEX and OPEX plus site constriants eg tank system willrequire some head room for the feed side.

The other alternative is mechanical eg airslides/elevator - low power per tonne but higher costs.

Only when you look at these in detail, will the answer be clearer ie no one system rules for all cases esp. when power costs vary

Cheers

James

Mr. Tues , Thank you for your feed back and your answeres below :-

Wet raw material or dry raw material? DRY
    Particle size? 90 % PASS , 90 MICRONE SIEVE
    Basic raw material or the mix of raw materials? Cao , so2 , AL2O3 , FE2O3 ,
    Bulk density 1.4 TONE /M3

With all my regards

Darkhe

Dear Darkhe,

For this raw material pneumatic conveying is feasible. But instead of one conveying line you will probably need multiple lines, in parallel, because of the very high conveying rate of 200 tons/hr. To reduce cost, these lines can have a common source to supply conveying air. Feed to the conveying line can be a blow tank or a rotary valve.

The other option is to use a mechanical system such as a bucket elevator and a belt conveyor.

Regards,

Amrit Agarwal
    Consulting Engineer
    Pneumatic Conveying Consulting
    Email: polypcc@aol.com
    Ph and Fax: 304 346 5125

Teus Tuinenburg

Professional Experience 50 Years / 8 Month Teus Tuinenburg has 50 Years and 8 Month professional experience

Discussions 1809 Teus Tuinenburg acceded to 1809 discussions, Articles 10 Teus Tuinenburg wrote 10 articles, Publications 0 Teus Tuinenburg Tuinenburg released 0 publications

Know-How Conveying (1377) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1377 times, Pneumatic Conveying (1180) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 1180 times, Pneumatic (46) Teus Tuinenburg used this tag 46 times

Dear darkhe,

I did a preliminary calculation.

Material: raw material for cement production
    Particle size: 80 micron
    Bulk density: 1400 kg/m3
    Particle density: 3100 kg/m3
    v-suspension: 2.26 m/sec
    Product loss factor 1.7 times of cement.

Pipeline diameter: 336 mm / 387 mm (14”/16”)
    Compressor displacement: 1.416 m3/sec

The calculated capacity estimates are:

Double tank system (Tank volume= 18m3 , material volume=14 m3)
    Pipeline capacity = 240 tons/hr at 2.5 bar
    System capacity = 203 tons/hr at 2.5 bar
    System energy consumption 1.34 kWh/ton

Screwfeeder
    Capacity = 200 tons hr at 1.7 bar
    System energy consumption 1.76 kWh/ton

I do not see the necessity for a multiple pipeline system, unless you want some redundancy.

Consider this calculation as an indication only.
    For guaranteed performance, you need to consult experienced suppliers of those systems.

Best regards
    Teus
    Teus

Dear Darkhe,

In my above post I missed answering your question about using a Screw Pump. I think that a Screw Pump is not suited to your material because it will not provide an air lock.

Regards,

Amrit Agarwal
    Consulting Engineer

Teus Tuinenburg

Dear Amrit,

I visited the website of FL Schmidt and found the following link:

http://www.flsmidth.com/NR/rdonlyres...inyonHPUMP.pdf

In this brochure, FLS states tha the FK pump handles cement raw materials.

Have a nice day
    Teus
    Teus

Dear Teus,

Screw pumps must provide a positive seal between the feed and discharge ends to prevent back flow of conveying gas. For this purpose the screw is designed with a differential pitch so arranged as to compress the conveyed material. Thats why the main application of screw pumps is for conveying fluidizable materials such as cement.

It may be possible to make some changes to the standard screw pumps for conveying coarse materials. I would like to know what these changes are.

Thanks,

Amrit Agarwal
    Consulting Engineer

Teus Tuinenburg

Dear Amrit,

Using the Geldart classification for 80 microns and 3100 kg/m3, cement raw material is on the boundary between Group A and Group B.
    Group A is easily fluidized and Group B is sand like and bubbling fluidizable.

When you stated “that a Screw Pump is not suited to your material because it will not provide an air lock”, I just checked it on the website of FLS.
    If FLS claims that it is possible, I believe them, although the conditions for proper operation are not mentioned.

I suppose that adapting a screw pump for a certain material can be done by changing the characteristics of the screw, some of them being the pitch ratio, fluidizing at the screw intake or limiting the back pressure.
    Therefore it is so important to contact manufacturers about their products as they have the experience.

Have a nice day
    Teus
    Teus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast