Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cement Hauling

WesVanderMartin Guest

Cement Hauling

We transfer cement from our Port Terminal to another terminal about 10 miles away. We currently use pneumatic bulker trailers. Is there much difference in how fast bulker trailers unload, and if we were to upgrade to newer trailers could we save time? Our current trailers are old but in good shape and have 4" discharge pipes. I know that some of the newer trailers have 5" piping, which I would think would make a difference.

2. Pneumatic Road Tankers

I have no detailed experience of pneumatic tankers but would expect that the trailer suppliers would advise on the discharge rates on new vehicles, and possible difference in trailer capacity. Obviously, any saving on site turn-around in discharge time should be weighed against the total trip time and the respective priorities and savings. Perhaps another consideration is whether the existing trailers could be modified if there are significant benefits to be gained. There is also the cost of site alterations of pipes and checking that the filters and blowing capacity is suitable for any up rating. Should facilities be made to accommodate a different pipe size, the question arises as to whether the original facility should be retained. I believe that a 4-inch Unicone connection and piping are a common standard for most existing pneumatic road tankers, and could other vehicles at some time require to discharge?

I am sorry that I cannot contribute more expertise in this instance. It would however, appear to be more of a management and accounting problem than an awkward technical question, so I trust that the relevant data on performance and costs will be available from manufacturing supplies to allow an analysis that will satisfy your query.

Lyn Bates

have you thought of pipe conveyors over the 10km distance??

Dennis Hauch - Freeport, TX, USA Guest

Cement Transfer

Wes,

The terminal-to-terminal cement transfer that you described in your thread of last December is interesting. There are several possible solutions but the optimum solution will take into account both technical and economic factors.

What is the desired transfer rate in mt / day compared to the transfer rate that you are now able to achieve with the existing bulk trailer fleet / unloading system? The following minimum data are needed to evaluate the existing system

1) hours per day of system operation
    2) capacity in mt of the existing 4-inch bulk trailers
    3) instantaneous transfer rate of the existing unloading system
    4) travel time between the terminals and bulk trailer connect / disconnect time
    5) the number of 4-inch bulk trailers in simultaneous operation

With this information and applying economic factors the following possible solutions can be prioritized

1) operate more hours per day
    2) provide additional 4-inch unloading stations
    3) provide additional 4-inch bulk trailers / tractors
    4) upgrade the existing 4-inch bulk trailer fleet and the existing unloading system to 5-inch
    5) replace the existing 4-inch bulk trailer fleet and the existing unloading system with 5-inch

These are my thoughts.

Regards,

Dennis Hauch

J. Morris Guest

Cement Handling

Check with Cyclonaire in USA (www.cyclonaire.com) for details on a Turbo-Inductor used to boost bulk trailer unloading rates. They have participate in a major dam building project that used RCC (Roller Compacted Concrete) for the city of San Diego. The material handling requirement was to discharge (72) bulk tankers of fly ash in a maximum of (8) hours. The tankers carried 25 tons each. The project lasted (1) year. and has just been completed. The entire system was designed to accomadate the high rate.

J. Morris

6. About ten years ago we made some trials with different sizes of discharge bottoms and -pipes to check the maximum discharge rate for fine limestone at railroad-cars.
    We found out that the maximum capacity for 4"was about 63 - 66 t/h and for 5" about 79 - 85 t/h for the existing installation. We kept the conveying velocity at the same value, it means we increased the amount of air with the factor (5/4)^2. We havent seen that the massflow increases with the same factor.

Some general suggestions for unloading trucks:
    -Keep piping as short as possible
    -Avoid horizonzal piping (not more then 1 flexible house connection).
    -For increasing capacity use bigger conveying-pipes after discharge and use booster air

If you are interested in more details, please email me.
    Regards
    Klaus Schneider

gmahon Guest
    Continuing on from Schneider's last "dot point" in his comments - I have used a bulk trailer with 4" line to discharge to a low height bin in 20 min, yet the same trailer took 1 hour to convey into a very high bin. Same air source on board trailer in both cases.

Pneumatic conveying rate is inversely proportional to convey distance for a given pipe ID and air mass. Too increase throughput, make the trailer "see" only a small convey distance, with the booster and the larger pipe (maybe even stepped depending upon distance) doing the equivalent of what the 5" pipe ex the trailer would have achieved.

Report back on the results of your efforts.

Regards

Geoff

sanitoint Guest

Re: Request of Cement Container

Dear Madam/Sir,

We are an American company located in Delaware and have a liaison office in Istanbul Turkey that is dealing in rolling stock business for the last five years. At the same time we are the official representative for Bulgarian State Railways (BDZ).

We are willing to purchase 500 pieces used/new/renewed bulk cement containers that fits the ISO standards. The containers must be 20. The loading must be done from the top and the discharge must be done from the bottom doors by using gravity.

If you are eligible to provide such containers please contact with us from the numbers below for further details. Thank you for your consideration from now and we are willing to hear from you as soon as possible.

Tel: +90 212 243 90 68 / +90 212 243 90 69
    Fax: + 90 212 243 90 67
    E-mail: sanitoint@yahoo.com
    Mobile: + 90 544 817 24 31 Mr. Moris REVAH
    + 90 532 244 88 00 Mr. Albi AFYA
    + 90 533 764 22 84 Mr. Yavuz AYDEMIR

Best regards,
    Moris REVAH
    Sanito International Developments Inc.

Graham C. Coope Guest
    You might take a look at www.inbulktechnologies.com, especially if you are considereng retirement of your existing tanker fleet. The H Type ISO-Veyor operates at a pressure of 30 psig, generated in a compressor located at the discharge site. As a result the unloading is both faster and more efficient than the typical 15 psig tanker.

In addition, since the ISO-Veyor is designed into an ISO frame, a regular flat bed truck or railcar can be used for hauling between sites without modification.

Regards,

Graham C. Cooper - VP Sales
    Clyde Materials Handling, Inc.

Amrit Agarwal

My colleague, Paul Solt, is perhaps the best person to answer your question. His main expertise in pneumatic conveying is cement, having come from the cement machinery manufacturing plant of the old Fuller Company. You may contact him at pccsolt@enter.net.

Regards,

Amrit Agarwal (Tim)
    PNEUMATIC CONVEYING CONSULTANTS
    polypcc@aol.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast