M. Pickering
(not verified)

Enclosed Belt Conveying

Posted on 29. Oct. 2002 - 09:14

Dear Steve,

For conveying cement powder over a long distance you can use a pouch belt conveyor.

With this type of belt conveyor the product is transported inside the belt conveyor (the belt is folded in a pouch shape).

We are a licensee for the Enerka-Becker System from Fenner-Dunlop and this pouch belt conveyor can convey your product, totally enclosed around corners and up inclines.

The system is equipped with a multi-point drive. Several small drive units are placed along the route. By Applying mutliple drives the belt tension is kept low. This way there is no need for a heavy tensioning construction and the length of the system is almost unlimited.

The Enerka-Becker System is marketed under the name Spaans E-B S Conveyor. More information can be found on our website www.spaans-bhs.nl.

Best regards,

M. Pickering

Spaans Bulk Handling Systems BV

E-mail: m.pickering@spaans-bhs.nl

Attachments

dwarsdoorsnede band (JPG)

Re: Conveying Cement Powder

Posted on 2. Dec. 2002 - 08:12

Mr. Harrington,

You may be interested in the "co-axial pipe" conveyor available from www.bosmin.com. I'll let the idea sell itself as I'm not a salesperson nor an engineer. But as a conveyor belt splicer I can tell you that this system is superior to the Enerka-Becker system in that it does not require special order belting. Thus any replacements or repairs can be carried out by local tradesmen(B.C. Belting or Goodall et al.). It also does not require vast amounts of compressed air to move along. It is, perhaps, meant for a more mobile application but I'm sure Bob Beatty could steer you in the right direction and instill confidence in you regarding your conveyance needs.

Regards and Good Luck,

REDDOG Midwest Belt and Hose (WPG)

Rik Hartsuiker
(not verified)

Another Alternative

Posted on 5. Dec. 2002 - 05:39

Dear Sir:

Another way of conveying any dusty material is an air supported belt conveyor. I represent Hendrik Enterprises, Inc. and we fabricate our HoverGlide line of air supported belt conveyors. If covered, the HoverGlide is dust/weather tight, frictionless between the tail and discharge (resulting in less motor HP), and because there are no moving parts between the tail and discharge, there would be a lot less maintenance.

Please visit our website at www.hendrikent.com or give us a call to discuss your application.

At your service,

Rik Hartsuiker

Manager of Operations

Hendrik Enterprises, Inc.

227 Hamburg Turnpike

Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442

973-616-9060 Tel

973-616-9250 Fax

email: mail@hendrikent.com

Author
(not verified)

Long Distance Conveying

Posted on 6. Dec. 2002 - 10:13

Dear Steve,

We have delivered more than 120 enclosed conveyors handling different materials from very wet to very dry ones. We have been since 1988 conveying materials for the international cement industry in Sweden, Italy, South Africa, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Holland and Chile. Our company has therefor experience in handling difficult materials. Please contact me and I will ask our partners in North America (The Fairfield Engineering Co. www.fairfieldengineering.com) to give you more information about project in Canada/USA.

You can also find more on our website www.sicon-roulunds.com.

Best Regards

Robert Olsson

SICON ROULUNDS AB

Phone 004642388026

robert.olsson@sicon-roulunds.se

Flow Dynamics Conveyor

Posted on 6. Dec. 2002 - 11:19

Dear Steve,

Magaldi Industrie SRL - Italy has recently got the licence from Kawasaki Heavy Industries to manfacture in Europe the "Flow Dynamics Conveyor", an air supported conveyor completely enclosed in a pipe, suitable for transportation of bulk materials with zero contamination of the environment.

It can be used to transport big quantity of materials (we have applications in coal handling up to 3000 t/h) over a long distance requiring a minimal installed power.

For further information please visit us at www.magaldi.com or contact me at the following address:

Ing. Fabio de Feo

MAGALDI INDUSTRIE Srl

+39 089 688226

+39 348 3740670

fabio.defeo@magaldi.com

www.magaldi.com

Attachments

fdc (JPG)

Posted on 6. Dec. 2002 - 12:32

Dear Steve,

Your question on conveying Cement refers:

Presently there is a 4km belt conveyor in India conveying 800tph along a jetty.

Also there is a big drive going on to replace pneumatic conveying of Cement into silos with the use of Pipe Conveyors. With the obvious reduction in absorbed power, (factor of 5).

Presently there is a study into conveying Cement 10km again using a Pipe Conveyor.

Major concerns revolve around the feed point, (always load horizontally), the maximum angle of inclination, (for a Pipe Conveyor this is >50% more than a belt conveyor) and the loss of product through blow off (we have been advised that as much as .5% of the Cement can be lost this way), again giving support to the Pipe Conveyor being used for this application.

Hope this assists.

Phil

Posted on 6. Dec. 2002 - 02:39

Dear Steve,

As you can see from the previous responses, there are a number of alternatives for conveying powdery materials, while maintaining control over dust. The system that is best for your application will depend on the volume and distance involved.

If you would supply tph, distance, and elevation information, you will likely get a number of responses that are specific to your needs. Enclosed belt systems, such as the Becker-Enerka and pipe belt systems mentioned are good options for longer distances. The air glide or air supported systems give good service for shorter distances.

Whichever system appeals to you, you should consider capital cost, reliability, operating costs, and ease of maintenance.

Regards,

Dave Miller ADM Consulting 10668 Newbury Ave., N.W., Uniontown, Ohio 44685 USA Tel: 001 330 265 5881 FAX: 001 330 494 1704 E-mail: admconsulting@cs.com

Conveying Cement Powerder

Posted on 15. Dec. 2002 - 05:55

Dear Sir:

I have some experience of design and operation in this subject. I would like to suggest that you can select the belt speed under 90m/min and the inclination of belt below 6 degrees.Every transfer point of the conveyors should be air-sealed as tight as possible,and be dedusted with bag filter of 120 cubic meters per minute. The hood of upstream conveyor can be sealed with a belt-cutting-in-strips curtain, and downstream be sealed with a skirt of about 3 meters long. If you need more infomation I will be glad to send some sketchs.

Best regard

Yun-chi Li

19, lane 187, we-yung Rd, Lodong, I-lan

Taiwan, the Reoublic of China

Yun-ch- Li
eleveyor
(not verified)

Posted on 20. Dec. 2002 - 01:57

A word of caution:

Cement Powder, when aerated, will flow faster than water.

Especially if you are looking at inclined conveying, you must be certain that the product is loaded in a non-aerated state, no matter which conveyor system you decide on.

Conveying Cement Powder

Posted on 20. Dec. 2002 - 06:04

We have developed an enclosure system for Blue Circle's (now Lafarge) new cement works at Medway, Kent for tranporting cement clinker. Due to environmental legislation with respect to noise and pm10 dust emissions, existing methods were not applicable. We developed on their behalf a thin wall concrete enclosure system. This is extremely robust and durable and no more expensive than traditional methods but is of a much higher engineering standard. In the Medway project the 3.5m wide by 3.5 m high units, 20 m long are made remotely, fitted out and delivered to site and installed complete in a very quick operation.

If of interest, I will send details

regards

Martin Tomlinson

Posted on 27. Dec. 2002 - 12:47

Hello everyone;

Thanks for your valued support in this subject. I'm continuing my research on the subject as this project involves a long curved conveyor (+5 km) at high capacity (+3000 mtph). It's an interesting project and one that will involve many technical improvements on current technology, especially in the loading are and transfer chutes due to the known properties of aerated cement.

Keep your replies comong. You are increasing my comfort level....

Steve

Steve Harrington P.Eng Krupp Canada Inc.

Posted on 27. Dec. 2002 - 06:49

Hello Steve,

With the tonnage and curvature you indicated, a pipe belt is probably your best option.

You also mentioned transfer chutes. Are you planning to have multiple discharge points, or did you envision a string of conveyors to get the cement from the load point to a single discharge point? If the latter, a single strand of belt would eliminate all of the transfers and the problems inherent with them. If the former, transfer point design will be critical to the operation -- and may suggest that a different system may be more appropriate. With all systems, the load zone design will either make the system a good one to work with or a nightmare.

Lyn Bates or Larry Nordell would be good sources of information on proper loading point designs. Alternatively, companies involved with chuting, storage bins, and belt cleaners (such as Martin Engineering) can give you assistance.

Regards,

Dave Miller ADM Consulting 10668 Newbury Ave., N.W., Uniontown, Ohio 44685 USA Tel: 001 330 265 5881 FAX: 001 330 494 1704 E-mail: admconsulting@cs.com