Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braking System for Belt Conveyor

braking system for belt conveyor

Does anyone know which type of braking system for large scale belt conveyors, esp. for downhill ones, is more effective?
    Is there any rules for design and selecting the braking system? Which are the famous supplier for braking system?
    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    wgbtransmission

2. Hello
    I have used the following makes of brakes:

-Voith
    -Stromberg
    -Binder
    -Clipper
    -Stratford

For downhill conveyors I normally use a combination of high speed as well as low speed disc brakes. However, I have to do a complete analysis of all braking times and conditions to establish the best positions and types for all the mechanical equipment including the take-up system.

LSL Tekpro
    Graham Spriggs

Lawrence K. Nordell

Lawrence K. Nordell

President and CEO

Conveyor Dynamics Inc. [eDir]

Conveyor Dynamics Inc.

Professional Experience 55 Years / 10 Month Lawrence K. Nordell has 55 Years and 10 Month professional experience

Discussions 2525 Lawrence K. Nordell acceded to 2525 discussions, Articles 0 Lawrence K. Nordell wrote 0 articles, Publications 0 Lawrence K. Nordell Nordell released 0 publications

Searching nothing specified

Know-How Design (1373) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 1373 times, Pipe Conveyor (210) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 210 times, Bins (93) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 93 times

The world's largest braking system is installed on the Los Pelambres, Chile 25000 kW downhill on three flights.

The brake design is a CDI proprietary system which uses novel concepts, CDI control algorithms and hardware specifications:

1. A digital and analog hydraulic fail-safe concept.

2. Quick-response system for such large systems. Quick response is used to evacuate the hydraulic fluid in a low millisecond time cycle, not possible with normal brake action due to fluid inertia valve timing and flow, and spring response delay.

3. Control of mechanical over-braking which would otherwise lead to excessive stress on belt, ts splices and mechanical components. This occurs when emergency braking might be applied and all tolerances build up to an unacceptably low belt safety factor (< 4:1).

Other large CDI and Partners downhill systems are:

1. Collahuasi (8000 kW) with Krupp in Chile
    2. El Abra (7500 kW) auditor to Cyprus Mining Co and ManTakraf
    3. Phelps Dodge, Morenci (6000 hp) with Fluor, in Arizona, USA
    4. Kennecott ( 2 x 6000 hp) in Salt Lake City, USA PWH/Krupp/Robins
    5. Quintette ( 2 x 3500 hp) in Canada redesign of a French system
    6. Capito do Mato, Pico and Matuca for MBR and MGS in Brazil
    7. many others for overland dynamic controls and sequencing

We use:

1. Johnson Brakes, Canada
    2. Bubenzer, Germany
    3. Svendborg then Asea
    4. Twiflex, USA
    5. SIME, France
    6. Voith was used on Kennecott and Palabora but I am not aware of recent activity
    Lawrence Nordell
    Conveyor Dynamics, Inc.

website, email & phone contacts:
    www.conveyor-dynamics.com
    nordell@conveyor-dynamics.com
    phone: USA 360-671-2200
    fax: USA 360-671-8450

Lyle Brown Guest
    There is a reasonably interesting paper (according to me) in Australian Bulk Handling Review, Volume 10 Number 4 on KD01 an underground regenerative (sometimes) coal “boomerang” conveyor. It discusses the braking mechanism implemented and how it was controlled.

I understand the mine is now closed down.

Regards,
    Lyle

Dear Mr. Spriggs,Mr. Nordell, Mr. Brown,
    Thanks much for your help.
    Is there any professional design handbook about the braking system.
    What's detailed specification for the braking system.
    Mr. Nordell, would you please tell me the detailed information about the braking system for the mentioned largest project.
    It must be the best reference for promotion, I think.
    Mr. Brown, would you kindly send me the mentioned artical if you have at hand.

reagrds,
    wgbtransmission

Lyle Brown Guest
    I do not have access to the paper in a format readily suitable for electronic transfer. The paper covers practical concepts, rather than theoretical details.

As for information on braking systems DIN and ISO give basic guidance (theory), though there are other considerations, including interaction with other disciplines.

Considering the consequences associated with implementing a solution, which is not the most appropriate, it may be prudent to have your system reviewed by those more familiar with the requirements of these installations.

Regards,
    Lyle

Lawrence K. Nordell

Lawrence K. Nordell

President and CEO

Conveyor Dynamics Inc. [eDir]

Conveyor Dynamics Inc.

Professional Experience 55 Years / 10 Month Lawrence K. Nordell has 55 Years and 10 Month professional experience

Discussions 2525 Lawrence K. Nordell acceded to 2525 discussions, Articles 0 Lawrence K. Nordell wrote 0 articles, Publications 0 Lawrence K. Nordell Nordell released 0 publications

Searching nothing specified

Know-How Design (1373) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 1373 times, Pipe Conveyor (210) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 210 times, Bins (93) Lawrence K. Nordell used this tag 93 times

Dear wgbtransmission,

Please tell me what you wish to know. Then I will know what you know and what I can tell you.

Are you trying to engineer the product or conveyor?

There is a great deal of detail that needs to be known off the top such as:

1. Shock wave intensity

2. Motor sizes

3. Tension, speed, width, modulus, beltline geometry, capacity ...

4. Take-up system

5. Need for fast verses not so fast control response

6. Heat load on disk (disk and pad sizes)

7. Pulley size and slip control

8. How far you are from conventional or well known installation specifications -- how much advanced engineering is required.

9. How you have approached safety HAZOP issues and all "what if " scenarios.

10. Available components and your knowledge of their applicability

We have published some technicals on some brake systems. We normally do not make public current intellectual property -- leads to too many "me toos". If you wish a pdf of these please contact me via my email below and for any further interaction between your company and ours.

If we do establish communication, I will provide some photos of the larger systems and other informative details.
    Lawrence Nordell
    Conveyor Dynamics, Inc.

website, email & phone contacts:
    www.conveyor-dynamics.com
    nordell@conveyor-dynamics.com
    phone: USA 360-671-2200
    fax: USA 360-671-8450

8. Hi All,
    I believe that the 'boomerang conveyor' paper is ne delivered by Peter Gilbert of Nepean Conveyors at BELTCON 13. Check out the BELTCON site fo a link.
    Regards,
    Adi Frittella

9. Too true Adi..
    There is also a paper on brakes by Kjeld Liisberg of Svenborg brakes Denmark in the Beltcon 13 collection.
    Cheers
    LSL Tekpro
    Graham Spriggs

Lyle Brown Guest
    I had an unsuccessful poke on Google for the Belton paper. The KDO1 was referred to as the "boomerang" conveyor in the paper I referenced earlier.
    Regards,
    Lyle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast